Smartphones have become a key tool for capturing stories, but how do you create high-quality video that will stand out from the crowd? City University of London’s one-day mobile journalism course is ideal for industry professionals and those with no background in journalism but looking to develop their multimedia skills using an iPhone or Android smartphone.
The one-day mobile journalism course will teach you how to shoot, edit and upload multimedia stories using your smartphone.
- Shoot video and learn how to frame the subject correctly using well established cinematography techniques.
- Learn how to use natural lighting to illuminate and model the subject.
- Learn how to record interviews and use a microphone to get the best sound.
- Use good interview technique and learn how to edit for the sound.
- Take photographs and learn how to use picture composition and rule of thirds.
- Use audio recordings and photographs to create a slideshow.
- Learn how to edit your video clips and use an editing app to create a video news story.
- Launch video news stories online using social media and web sites.
Why choose the Mobile Journalism short course?
City University of London is one of the most reputable universities in the area of journalism; ranking 1st in London for Communication and Media Studies, according to the Complete University Guide 2018 and due to our excellent links within the media sector, the university is able to offer exceptional courses at low cost.
No background knowledge in journalism is required however, students should have an interest in creating stories using their smartphone.
Applicants should have a basic understanding of English.
What will I learn?
The one-day mobile journalism course will teach you all you need to know to get up and running, from cinematography techniques, audio, lighting, editing, through to publishing video online.
The course tutor
Bill Shepherd, is a production editor at The Guardian and The Observer newspapers. He is a member of the Guild of Television Camera Professionals.
Date: Saturday 17 March 2018. Time: 09:30 – 16:30. Cost: £120.00. Course code: CS1770.